2018 Spring/Summer haves and have nots ( ahem… IMO:)
It goes without saying. Fashion and style are and can be two different things. I, for one, like to follow CoCo Chanel’s famous quote ““Fashion fades, only style remains the same.” That being said. I bring you some of The top hair trends you will be seeing in 2018 and in no particular order! I do not follow trends in a religious way, but more as a guideline of how it can play out with my own personal style. In other words, don’t take everything so literally but play with what could be new possibilities into your own style and , mostly, have fun!
- BOY BANGS: I love it. Chop em up and take em short! While you are at it- just crop your entire haircut. Boyish cuts are IN and they are fabulous on a confident woman who can carry masculine with her femininity. I say THUMBS UP!
- BUBBLE UP: Yup. I likes. Take that ponytail you flop on top of your head and add a few more ribbons, hair ties, string, or whatever would cinch a few more bubbles- for a really cool couture look. YES
- ACRYLIC: Leave it to Chanel designers to add some acrylic hair accessories to add a classic but fashion forward look to the runway. I, personally, like the look of the acrylic tubes to stuff a ponytail in, but beware of too much claw clamps and gaudy clips that could look.. well… junky. YES but with Caution!
- DOUBLE BARRETTE: Magnifique ! Symmetry is so beautiful and I love the 70’s double barrette look. Hair could be messy or smooth. Add a simple part and stick those suckers on each side. You got the look! THUMBS UP!
- 90’S RETRO: As much as I adore going retro in almost everything. I will put a fair warning on this. I was never a huge fan of 90’s anything ( except for Hip Hop music). The “Friends” haircut ( which I did about a million of on my clients) was a helmet with a shag at the bottom and the boring mid length hair with no movement and a somewhat heavy side bang = NO BUENO.. On a positive note, though, I will say that if you do this style- make it obvious this is what you are going for in a retro way but keep the 90’s fashion away otherwise you will look like a character out of the movie CLUELESS.
- SCRUNCHIES: Just no. NO. They are ugly then and now. The only potential I could see pulling this off is a head to toe Couture look with the most avant-garde personality and a face like an angel… a la Zac Posen? GOD NO. (unless your Zac Posen)
- BRAID IT UP: Yes. Do it. Slop those braids in one or more. Dirtyhair, clean hair, messy or perfect. Braids are a simple way to add texture and flair to your hair. That rhymed. I’m a poet and didn’t know it.
- BOBS WITH BANGS: I’m neutral to this one. If you don’t have any bangs… add them. If you have had them for a long time for for the BOY BANG trend to switch it up. Either way you can grow them out when the trends move forward! GO FOR IT.
- NIRVANA BLONDE: I meannnnn… OF COURSE. If you don’t know the band NIRVANA (please get to know). If you already jam to Teen Spirit on a regular basis. Get you your Dirty Blonde dark root, messy just woke up look going NOW. YES YES YES.
- SWEAT BANDS: Sorry. I can’t get on board with this. All this means is going to the gym and leaving your sweat band in your sweaty hair look and I just can’t do it. If you live in NYC and you can mix your fashion with a sweat band and pull it off.. by all means I will step aside on this one! SORRY CANT GIVE THIS A THUMBS UP
- HAIR SCARVES: OMG! OMG! OMG! I couldn’t be more excited. I love hair scarves worn like a granny and with some HUGE sunglasses. GLAM! DO IT PLEASE!
Thanks for listening to the trends ! Have fun in 2018 my friends!! xoxoxoxoxo — Jules